What is the Out and Proud Program?
The Out and Proud Program enables the Children’s Aid Society of Toronto (CAS Toronto) to ensure that its services are open, inclusive, safe, affirming and positive for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, transgender, two-spirit, intersex, gender non-conforming, queer and questioning (LGBTQ) children and youth served by CAS Toronto, as well as LGBTQ families, employees, volunteers and care providers.
We celebrate diverse sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
We assist CAS Toronto to provide an environment that is free from homophobia, heterosexism, rigid gender expectations and transphobia.
Out and Proud Affirmation Guidelines -- Practice Guidelines for Equity in Gender and Sexual Diversity (2012)
How do I know my practice with children, youth or families is actually LGBT2SQ-inclusive? How does our agency ensure that all that we do conveys respect and support for the full range of gender and sexual diversity, and moves us closer to equity?
The Children’s Aid Society of Toronto has produced a comprehensive manual outlining best and promising practices for serving
- LGBT2SQ youth
- Gender independent children – young people who do not conform to gender stereotypes and may be exploring their gender/sexual identity
- Families with gender independent or LGBT2SQ children or youth
- All children, youth and families – how we can challenge stereotypes and encourage open exploration of gender and sexual identity for everyone
Download a free copy or to purchase a hard copy manual, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Definitions of Terminology
Symbols of PRIDE
When Someone Comes Out to You
Myths and Stereotypes Debunked
Risks, Challenges and Survival Techniques
What a LGBTQ Affirmative Practice Looks Like
Strategies to Make Your Workplace and Residential Settings Welcoming to LGBTQ People
LGBTQ Youth Resources Across Ontario
LGBTQ Positive Faith Groups and Places of Worship
Supportive Strategies for Serving Young People Who Don’t Conform to Gender Stereotypes
Backgrounder on Gender Diversity
Board Governance Policy on Services Relating to Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity/Expression
NOTE: Links below will open in a new window
- Lesbian, Gay, Bi Trans Youth Line (Toll-free, anonymous, peer support phone line)
- Supporting Our Youth (SOY) - Programs for LGBTQ youth
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (Addiction support for LGBTQ parents or parents to be)
- P-FLAG - Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays including Bi and Trans peer support network
- Many more helpful sites - click here for our Links document
Click on the link below to email us: