January 16, 2024 - The Children’s Aid Society of Toronto (CAST) is currently seeking nominations to its Board of Directors. CAST is a not-for-profit agency funded by the province of Ontario, and the largest child welfare organization in North America with an operating budget of $157.4M. Operating under section 72 of the Child, Youth and Family Services Act 2017 (CYFSA), we have a legal mandate to keep children, ages 0 to 18, safe from abuse and neglect.
The CAST Chief Executive Officer is responsible for the Agency’s operations and the CAST Board of Directors is responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the organization.
CAST is currently seeking nominations to its Board of Directors starting early 2024. Applicants should have a passion for child welfare, and a strong desire to support CAST’s vision of a city where children are safe, families are strong and communities are supported.
We are committed to having Board representation that is reflective of the diversity of Toronto and encourage all qualified individuals to apply, people from equity-deserving groups, particularly Indigenous peoples, and others who share our values and contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse organization.
Role of the Board of Directors
As one of up to nineteen (19) Board Directors at CAST, you will be responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the corporation. The Board’s key functions are:
- Strategic planning
- Quality and performance measurement and monitoring
- Financial oversight, including risk identification and oversight
- Oversight of management through selection and supervision of the CEO
- Stakeholder communication and accountability
- Governance, including legal compliance
With an understanding of equity and Truth and Reconciliation and the ability to integrate such into practice, Members of the Board shall be fully supportive of the mission, vision and values of the Children’s Aid Society of Toronto (CAST) and they shall reflect this support in all of their Board and Committee work and in how they represent the organization externally.
Your Experience and Skills
To address a wide variety of strategic and governance challenges, one or more of the following in-depth experiences and skills are highly valued:
In addition, you have:
- Senior level experience in services to children and youth
- Health services administration (pediatric specialty is a strong asset)
- Not-for-profit governance law
- Provincial government leadership
- Strategic communications leadership
- An appreciation for the distinct roles of governance and management
- Strong strategic thinking, good listening, and excellent teamwork skills
- The ability to make sound decisions based on the analysis of the information received and to maintain solidarity with all of the Board’s decisions
- Availability for active participation in the work of the Board and Board Committees (commitment of 6 to 10 hours per month per Board member)
- Extensive governance experience and/or an Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD) designation is considered a strong asset
Board positions are on a volunteer basis. Applicants must live or work in the GTA and be able to commit for a minimum of three years.
Interested individuals are invited to submit their cover letter and resume highlighting their experience and motivation to be on the Board. Tell us why you want to be part of CAST and this Board of Directors.
Applications can be sent to: email@example.com.